WELCOME TO THE USC PAYROLL DEPARTMENT
The primary mission of the Payroll department is to ensure
that all employees are paid accurately and timely with the
correct withholdings and deductions, and to ensure the
withholdings and deductions are remitted in a timely manner.
This includes salary payments, tax withholdings, and
deductions from a paycheck. Our mission is accomplished by
working with all the paying departments as well as the
Division of Human Resources, the Graduate School, Financial
Aid, and many other offices. The mission of the Payroll
department is not attainable without the assistance of the
Payroll contacts in each department. These contacts serve an
important role in providing the information needed for paying
and serving all employees of the University of South Carolina.
The Payroll Department is responsible for the preparation of
all University payrolls and for University compliance with all
rules and regulations pertaining to and/or resulting from
payroll operations which include the following activities:
- Making accurate and timely payments to all persons on
the University payroll.
- Making all statutory deductions and verifying that all
required reporting procedures are followed in connection
with statutory deductions.
- Making all non-statutory deductions and/or reductions
and verifying that all record keeping and reporting
procedures are followed.
- Maintaining records and reports required by the
University, State, and Federal governmental agencies
pertaining to personnel paid through the payroll system.
- Distributing paychecks.
- Establishing payroll policies and processing procedures.
- Generating year end tax forms.
- Processing W-4's.
- Reconciling withholding accounts.
- Assisting departments with the processing of payroll